Call Brennan 214-945-1010 for all updates on any local rental properties that are available.

Move to Anna Logo

Want to apply for one of our rentals?
Click Here

History of Anna

In 1831 Collin McKinney came to Texas with his family and they settled northeast of present-day Anna. Collin McKinney is the man for whom Collin County and the county seat were named and he is also noted as being a signer on the Texas Declaration of Independence. In 1854 his son, Younger Scott McKinney, sold 200 acres of land to W.C. McKinney, James Throckmorton and Joseph Wilcox, who purchased the land with the intention of developing the town of Mantua (pronounced man-choo-way). It quickly became a thriving town that flourished for nearly 25 years.

However, when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through the area in 1872, it bypassed Mantua by about one mile to the east. The town did not survive, but the towns of Anna and Van Alstyne were created instead.

By the time Anna was platted in 1883, it had a population of 20 with two stores, a steam grist mill, and a Baptist Church. John F Greer, who arrived in 1867, is credited with building the first home and store in Anna. The city grew with the help of the railroad, which was used as transportation for the building of Anna and to support agriculture. By 1990 the town had a population of more than 100. The railroad train depot was built in 1885 and the first cotton gin in 1887. In 1894 the Sherley family built the first brick building in town. They sold a complete line of goods, such as furniture, lumber, saddles and hardware, and even included a funeral parlor. This building is still in use today as a museum. Anna incorporated in 1913, with Greer as its first mayor. Though the agricultural tradition still existed in Anna and the surrounding community, its role as an agricultural and ranching center of commerce was rapidly changing.

Anna sprang to life with the arrival of pioneers. By 1920 the population had reached 538, according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census and Anna Planning and Development Department, and by 1970 the population was 736. The current population, according to most recent census in 2016, is more than 11,940.

Today the City of Anna, which is located on US 75, State Highway 5 and State Highway 121, is one of the fastest growing cities in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. The projected population for 2030 is 35,400. We like to believe the early settlers would be pleasantly surprised.

announcment-iamge

Upcoming Community Events

Schools

School Information